Monday, January 24, 2011

“Do We Teach to Life or to College?”


In “Box-logic,” Geoffrey Sirc proposes a new media pedagogy that values annotation and collection as a means of composing multimedia texts. Like other scholars, such as Wysocki and Selfe who are interested in using new technologies in the composition classroom, Sirc voices his “pedagogical dilemma:” “just what do I do in the classroom, what do I teach (111)?” As he moves away from the essayistic genre that carries with it the legacy of linear thinking, he considers the "formal and material concerns [that] guide a newly-mediated pedagogical practice" (114)—a pedagogy that values association, “desire and lack,” metonymy, aesthetics, “personal symbologies(cool term, but huh?),” juxtaposition, and design (117). For Sirc, the student writer is a "dissatisfied collector, one impatiently seeking pleasure" (117).

  
“The Arcades Project” Activity is 
a very informative yet entertaining
genre/ activity. I like how Sirc allows students
to break away from “doing old-fashioned note cards
for the term paper,” and adopt a much more interesting format.






I find Sirc’s theory and pedagogy of box logic interesting and inspiring, but I’m not sure how much writing (actual writing, how much of the 20-page requirement) do students write in the freshman comp course based on this pedagogy. If the focus on this pedagogy is collection and annotation then what students actually learn is researching, summarizing, and responding to entries (quotes, images, sound, songs, etc.), what happens after that? I mean, what happens when we ask students to write an essay? Do they know how to do so?  I agree with Sirc when he writes that there is "something increasingly untenable about the integrated coherence of college essayist prose" (123) in the 21st century, but shouldn’t writing teachers focus on the basics (mastering the “traditional” essay) first and then, when students master that, we can take them to another level? Perhaps his pedagogy can be more useful with juniors since there is an underlying assumption that they know how to write “homogenous” essays. 

Sirc claims that the composition essay hides behind an "easy falseness of a unified resolution" (123). Do we really believe that? I know that many of us think of our students’ “final” drafts as first drafts and that we highly value the process of wallowing in the complexity of the topic. I think that Sirc here oversimplified what a comp essay entails. Also, I find it problematic that Sirc doesn’t take into consideration that students need to learn how to write a 10-page well-argued essay in order to survive and pass other classes that rely on comp teachers to teach students how to write a well-argued essay. 


 If each teacher works individually without considering the consequences of their adopted pedagogies/models, then, we are jeopardizing the students’ success in her academic life/college life so we could teach her something about life. This is not to deny the importance of Sirc’s model, as I said, I find the box model for the early stages of writing essays and researching, what Sirc calls "search strategies and annotating material" (122), particularly useful. And I’m a strong believer in empowering students in finding their own voices in writing, but if we want to translate Sirc’s model into a more realistic one that correspondences to the requirements of our comps classes, we should work on a comprehensive vision that values experimentation and nonlinear thinking and redefines essayistic prose not only on the college level, but also on the university level so students would not be at a disadvantage. Unfortunately, on the university level, the "genre" of note-taking/collaging/archiving, etc. is not as prominent as the genre of the argumentative essay. I think that the university is far from adopting the box-logic model as a primary model for its freshmen level comp classes.

8 comments:

  1. Sirc's essay was a concern for me, too. Most of my teaching experience is at community colleges, so I often view proposed pedagogical innovations from this perspective. I can't help but think, how well would I be serving my paralegal, nursing, and electrical engineering students if I told them "their compositional future is assured" by viewing comp as solely an artistic aesthetic. How would I explore concepts of audience and communication with this pedagogy? Sirc left me very uncertain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana,

    I don't think that you really have the same things in mind as Sirc when you say,

    "I’m a strong believer in empowering students in finding their own voices in writing"

    Sirc's writings seemed to largely ignore social structures that often get in the way of such endeavors. I am also interested in helping students learn to create subjectivities/identities within writing/discourse ecologies, but I find that to be a negotiation of socio-political forces and how those forces play out on bodies rather than a process of romantic self-expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of context helps to place Sirc's pedagogy. Most of what he teaches are "developmental writing" AKA basic writing courses. His approach is in part his own way of overcoming alienation and failure. Apparently it has worked pretty well. That said, he seems to thrive on provoking established composition orthodoxy. His method is not so far out as he makes it sound. Note the article on remix (Ashley's presentation). This takes a similar thing and theorizes it from a more social perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still concerned that teaching students to enjoy design (or even writing, though it doesn't seem to be a concern in Sirc's article) will not adequately prepare them for either college or the real world. Perhaps, at the developmental writing level, it's important to try to establish some kind of desire to compose, but does a focus on aesthetics necessarily leave a lot of the pedagogical heavy lifting to other instructors? Lana, I agree with your concern about college preparation, but I also question the extent of real world preparation. Can developing personal symbologies lead to the much-sought-after critical thinking skills our students are expected to develop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana,

    I'm really interested in your suggestion that writing teachers "should work on a comprehensive vision that values experimentation and nonlinear thinking and redefines essayistic prose not only on the college level, but also on the university level so students would not be at a disadvantage."

    What I understand this to mean is that we need to both teach students to write in the dominant genres but also teach them to question and explore those genres.

    I agree with this. In my own class, I want to make students aware of how much of writing is too neat, coherent, or polarized (like Sirc) but I also had trouble with the idea that we could "abandon" the essay form. Perhaps what's needed are more assignments that complicate challenge traditional essay forms while workin within their immediate frameworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lana,

    I like how you point out a major conflict in Sirc's argument by saying "If each teacher works individually without considering the consequences of their adopted pedagogies/models, then, we are jeopardizing the students’ success in her academic life/college life so we could teach her something about life. This is not to deny the importance of Sirc’s model[...]"

    It makes me think if we need some sort of guidelines, theories, or statements articulating what is the "life lesson" that writing teachers may carry out in freshman composition classes? How do we define it, breaking it down? And how effective the lesson may get? In my opinion, naming it a life lesson in anticipation of its influence on students' literacy doesn't automatically justify the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with John Faustus and Chris Joe. I think the teach for College/teach for life binary is a false dichotomy. Why do we assume that the skills associated with academic writing aren't useful for life? All of us seem to have blended the two in our career choices. I would suggest that "an artistic stance" is the worst thing to take when your boss asks you to write up a proposal/report etc. I find that the "school" type of writing seems to relate rather strongly to a great deal of "life" writing I do. In fact, more creative writing seems to be quite optional for most people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments. This is an ongoing dilemma that requires further exploration by all of us and others in our field. However, I feel that teaching for life and teaching for college is basically depends on our students. There are times when college teaching applies and times when life teaching is needed. The difficulty comes from finding a balance between these two ideals. How do you balance the combination of these two ideas?

    ReplyDelete